Skip to main navigation Skip sub navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer Accessibility Options

City Hall

City Hall

General Funding Guidelines

General funding guidelines that apply to all types of Accommodation Tax Grant funding requests are listed below.

  • Applications and the basis of funding for requests will be forwarded and reviewed by the Director of Economic Development or in the event of a conflict, the City Treasurer.
  • Accommodation Tax funding requests must be received, reviewed and a decision made by Administration or City Council prior to the event occurring. Retroactive applications are not permitted.
  • Accommodation Tax grants are not available for events that do not generate overnight stays.
  • The established funding metrics will be used to determine the recommended grant amount for an event.
  • Funding preference will be given to organizations and events that do not run a deficit.
  • Events that generate profit are eligible for funding. The level of profit generated has no bearing on the Accommodation Tax funding recommendation.
  • Large events that are deemed to be city wide in impact may be funded at a level that exceeds the recommendation generated by the evaluation metrics.

 

General eligibility rules that apply to all types of Accommodation Tax Grant funding requests appear below.

  • The event must generate overnight stays in Brandon whereby the overnight stay met the criteria for imposing the collection of Brandon’s accommodation tax.  Eligible room nights include any place in which accommodation is provided whereby the rental fee exclusive of taxes is $31.00 or greater and the accommodation provider collects and pays Accommodation Tax to the City of Brandon.  This includes but is not limited to an inn, housekeeping unit, lodging house, boarding house, rooming house,  hotel, motel, dormitory, bed and breakfast establishment, and resort hostel).  Campground stays and Airbnb's are not deemed an eligible overnight stay with regards to reporting on overnight stays projected or generated for the purpose of an Accommodation Tax grant.
  • The event must be held in Brandon
  • The applicant and or host organization must have no outstanding taxes, utility charges or other amounts owing to the municipal government and all properties owned by the Organization must be free of any City of Brandon Building and Safety Maintenance Orders.
  • Only events that align with Brandon First marketing strategies are eligible to apply for Accommodation Tax event hosting grants.  Personal events such as socials, weddings, and family celebrations are ineligible for Accommodation Tax Grant funding.  If you are in doubt as to eligibility for an event hosting grant, please contact Brandon First at 204.729.2156 or info@brandonfirst.com

 

Reporting and Reimbursement guidelines that apply to all types of Accommodation Tax Grant funding requests appear below.

  • The organization receiving an accommodation tax grant is responsible for completing the Final Event Report Form with the finalized information within 90 days of the event conclusion. If the grant recipient is unable to meet the 90 day timeline, please discuss with the Director of Economic Development. The Event Final Report Form is available under the I am a Grant Applicant/Final Report menu option.
  • If the final report shows a discrepancy between projected hotel room nights for the event and actual numbers realized, the final numbers reported will be put through the evaluation metrics and the amount of the grant will either remain the same or be adjusted downward based on the evaluation results. If room nights realized are significantly higher than projected there is the opportunity to submit a request to Brandon City Council for increased funding. Please discuss this with the Director of Economic Development.
  • Events approved for funding shall receive 40% of approved funds in advance of hosting the event with the remaining 60% to be paid out after receipt of the event final report, provided projected room nights have been realized, which is satisfactory to the City. Capital grants are handled somewhat differently, with details worked out between the City of Brandon and the applicant.
  • At its expense, the City of Brandon has the right to audit the books or financial records of any organization that receives Accommodation Tax revenues.

 

Back to Top