Arts, Culture & Diversity
Brandon Community Resources
COB Youth Centre
Communities in Bloom
Music in the Park
Community Development Subscription
Mosquito Fogging Notification Signup
Planning & Building Safety Updates
Recreation / Parks
Bookings & Rentals
Brandon's Community Sportsplex
Sportsplex Newsletter Signup
Dutch Elm Disease FAQ
Greenspace Master Plan
Outdoor Fitness Equipment
Recreation Master Plan
Ski & Snowmobile Trails
Walking and Bike Trails
Wheat City Golf Course
Relocate to Brandon
Emergency Reception Centre
Music in the Parks
Water Shortage Emergency Centre
Youth Activity Centres
The City of Brandon’s population in the 2016 Census was 48,859, just over a 6% increase from the 2011 Census. Brandon’s growth has kept pace with the fastest growing cities in Canada and demonstrates the opportunities available for individuals, families, and businesses to grow and succeed. According to the 2011 Census, the City’s landmass is approximately 77 square kilometres, and has an estimated trading population of 180,000.
In May of 1881, General Thomas Rosser chose a location for a major divisional point of the Canadian Pacific Railway and named this new townsite "Brandon". The name "Brandon" is derived from the Blue Hills of Brandon and they, in turn, had received the name second hand from a Hudson's Bay trading post known as Brandon House - which in turn had been named after a hill on an island in James Bay where Capt. James had moored his ship in the winter of 1631. With that, hundreds flocked to Brandon to gain a foothold in the new development and reap the benefits of the rich and abundant farmland. They came quickly and before they could put up permanent structures, new habitants arrived and pitched their tents, sure to be charter participants in the new West. Brandon grew so rapidly that it never attained the status of village nor a town, but became a city overnight. Brandon was officially incorporated as a city on May 30th, 1882.
On July 3rd, 1882 the first council of the City of Brandon held its historic meeting. The first mayor of Brandon was the Honourable Thomas Mayne Daly.
Brandon has been nicknamed the "Wheat City" in honor of its rich agricultural heritage and reputation as a prosperous farming community. It is situated in the southwest corner of the province of Manitoba and is the second-largest city in Manitoba. Brandon covers an area of 43 square kilometers (26 square miles) and its official population according to the 2016 Census is 48,859. However, its trading area population is estimated at 180,000.
Brandon is the little city with the big heart, and is a progressive community with a quality of life that must be experienced to be appreciated.
City of Brandon - 410 9th Street - Brandon MB - R7A 6A2 - Phone: 204. 729. 2186