Skip to main navigation Skip sub navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer Accessibility Options

Planning & Building Safety Department

Building & Plumbing Permit Applications & Forms

Permit Applications

A permit is required to ensure that work complies with the Manitoba Building Code and other relevant City of Brandon by-laws.

Property owners are ultimately responsible to ensure that a permit has been obtained prior to any work commencing on their property. A property owner may delegate another person or firm to obtain a permit on their behalf by providing Development Services with written permission upon application submittal.

Here is some useful information to review before applying for a permit:

PDF Logo Permit Rules and Regulations (35 KB)

PDF Logo Responsibilities For Those Involved In Construction (118 KB)

PDF Logo Inspection Requirements for Residential Occupancies (69 KB)

PDF Logo 9.36 Energy Efficiency - User's Guide and Reference Manual (758 KB)

PDF Logo Guidelines to Residential Final Inspection (103 KB)

PDF Logo 2010 Editions of the National Building Code of Canada (NB), National Fire Code of Canada (NFC), and National Plumbing Code of Canada (NPC)

PDF Logo Required Documents for Residential Properties (77 KB)


There are two ways to apply for a permit:

Use this link to navigate to our online application portal


Apply in person at the AR McDiarmid Complex - Door D 638 Princess Ave (As of March 19, 2020, this building is closed to the public due to the Covid-19 pandemic)


The information provided in each category below contains general requirements for several different permit types. This is a general list, and more requirements may be requested depending on the nature of your building project

For more information on Development Permits and when they may be required, view the Development Applications page.


Building Permit Application


Demolition Permit Application

PDF Logo Application Form (128 KB)     

PDF Logo Hazardous Materials Acknowledgement (427 KB)       

PDF Logo Asbestos - Frequently Asked Questions (302 KB)


Plumbing Permits

A plumbing permit is required to construct, extend, alter, renew, or repair a plumbing system or make a connection to a sewer.

A plumbing permit is not required when a valve, faucet, fixture, or service water heater is repaired or replaced, a stoppage cleared, or a leak repaired, if no change to the piping is required.

PDF Logo Application Form - Interior Plumbing (58 KB)     

PDF Logo Application Form - Water & Sewer (85 KB)

PDF Logo Heating & Ventilation Design Form (79 KB)


Additional Information

PDF Logo Change Notice - 2010 Manitoba Plumbing Code Interpretation - Sanitary Building Drains (80 KB)

PDF Logo When Is a Plumbing Permit Required? (35 MB)

PDF Logo Guidelines to Plumbing Inspection (112 KB)

Vacant or Derelict Building

PDF Logo Application Form (95 KB)

PDF Logo Boarded Building Process Flowchart (105 KB)

PDF Logo Vacant Building Process Flowchart (180 KB)


Home Based Business License Application

PDF Logo Application Form (605 KB)

To operate a business out of your residence, you need to first obtain two approvals:

  1. The first is a development permit. A development permit, issued by the Planning & Buildings Department, allows business activities to be conducted from a residential property under the Zoning By-law.
  2. The second is a business license. A business license, issued by the Licensing Department, legally allows you to operate a business.

If you are establishing a new business in your residence, or you are changing the parameters of your existing business (e.g. change of address, changing the number of clients on your residential property), you must complete the Home-Based Business Application Form. The application form must be submitted to the Planning & Buildings Department at the A.R. McDiarmid Civic Complex, 638 Princess Avenue. The license must be renewed annually thorugh the Licensing Department at City Hall (410 - 9th Street, main floor).



Planning Mobile Menu

City of Brandon - 410 9th Street - Brandon MB - R7A 6A2 - Phone: 204. 729. 2186