Brandon Votes

Frequently Asked Questions - Candidates


When do municipal elections take place?

Manitoba municipal elections are held every four years. The general Election Day is always the fourth Wednesday in October. The next general municipal election will be held on Wednesday, October 26, 2022.

Who is the Senior Election Official (SEO)?

The Senior Election Official (SEO) is the person appointed by the municipality to exercise general direction and supervision over the conduct of municipal elections. In the past, this person was called the Returning Officer. The SEO will be your primary contact person should you have any questions about municipal elections, such as voting place locations, alternative voting opportunities, nominations, questions about the voters list, etc..  The SEO for the City of Brandon and the Brandon School Division is Heather Ewasiuk.



What is the term length of municipal elected officials?If elected to a municipal council, you will be expected to serve a four year term. Officially, the term begins

Do municipal officials receive a salary for their service?

Members of council generally receive a small amount in recognition of the time and energy they have devoted to their communities. Each council sets the type and rates of payments to members so it varies for each municipality.  Indemnity rates have been established for the City of Brandon in By-law No. 7220.

What are the qualifications to run for municipal council?

You may run for municipal office if you:

  • Are a Canadian citizen;
  • Are at least 18 years of age on Election Day;
  • Are a resident of Manitoba;
  • Are a qualified voter of the municipality (you have either resided or owned property in the municipality for at least six months); and
  • Have not been disqualified from running under The Municipal Act, or any other Act (see below for examples of disqualifications).

You may not run for municipal office if you:

  • Are a judge of the Court of King's Bench or the Court of Appeal;
  • Are a provincial judge or justice of the peace;
  • Are a member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba or the Senate or House of Commons of Canada;
  • Are a sitting member or are nominated for office in another municipality or school division;
  • Are an employee of the municipality, unless you have been granted a leave of absence; or
  • Have been disqualified, for any of the following reasons:
    • Have committed an election offence, and are barred from running in the municipal election;
    • Have been convicted under The Municipal Act or any other Act and have not paid the fine imposed;

Can I run for office if I work for the municipality?

Yes, but only if you obtain a leave of absence. Section 92 of The Municipal Act allows any employee, except the Chief Administrative Officer, to apply for a leave of absence before the close of nominations in order to run in a municipal election.

May I hold elected office in a school division and municipality at the same time?

You may not run for municipal office if you are a sitting member, or are nominated to run for office, in another local authority (including a school division). You may not run for school division office if you are a sitting member, or are nominated to run for office, in another local authority (including a municipality). A sitting councillor or school trustee must first resign from their position in order to run in a by-election.

When can I start campaigning?

You must register before you can begin to accept contributions and spend money on your campaign. To register, you must fill out a Registration Form, available from your municipality’s Senior Election Official.

When can I register?

Candidates must register within a certain timeframe.

  • Mayor candidates must register between May 1, 2022 and September 20, 2022.
  • Councillor candidates must register between June 30, 2022 and September 20, 2022.

Are there any rules about spending money for my campaign, or reporting the amounts I spend? (see Campaign Finance FAQ's for more information)

The current maximum amount of campaign expenses that can be incurred by a registered canadia is:

$19,000 for Mayor

$4,800 for Councillors

How many people need to nominate me to run for office?

At least one percent of the eligible voters in your municipality must sign in support of your nomination. These voters must appear on the municipality’s voters list to be considered eligible – the maximum number of signatures that you must obtain is 25.

When do I have to file my nomination papers?

All candidates must file nomination papers, available from the Senior Election Official in order to run for election.  Papers must be filed IN PERSON during the nomination period.

The nomination period is September 15 to 21, 2010 in the City of Brandon.

Can the public view my nomination papers?

Yes, once you file your nomination papers, they are kept in the possession of the Senior Election Official. Interested members of the public may view them during the Senior Election Official’s regular office hours.

What if I decide I don’t want to run for office after I’ve filed my nomination?

If you file your nomination, and then decide that you do not want to run for office, you may withdraw your name under certain conditions. Your withdrawal will only be accepted up until 24 hours after the nomination period closes, and only if enough candidates remain to fill the offices. You must sign your withdrawal in the presence of a witness, and file it with the Senior Election Official during office hours.

Can I have campaign signs at the voting place on Election Day?

There are strict rules regarding political activities at voting places. Any activity in contravention of the Act may be considered an election offence and could have serious repercussions. No person may, within 50 metres of a voting place:

  • Distribute pamphlets, buttons or other items referring to the election, or a candidate;
  • Wear or display any item that refers to the election or a candidate; or
  • Post or display a sign or poster referring to the election or a candidate.

If a candidate’s sign is located within 50 metres of a voting place on Election Day, an election official is empowered by legislation to remove it, or may order the candidate or official agent to remove it or obscure it immediately. A person that contravenes a provision of The Municipal Councils and School Boards Elections Act is guilty of an election offence.

I have been asked by a candidate to act as scrutineer. What does a scrutineer do?

The role of the scrutineer is to assist the candidate with tracking the progress of the vote on Election Day (and any alternative voting opportunities, such as advance or sealed envelope voting), to raise legitimate objections regarding a voter’s qualifications, and to observe the ballot count after the voting places close.

Scrutineers are also entitled to be present at any alternative voting opportunities, such as advance voting or to observe the sealed envelope ballot count. It would be helpful to check with the Senior Election Official to get a complete sense of the responsibilities and authorities of scrutineers.

The appointment of a scrutineer must be made in writing and filed with the Senior Election Official. The Senior Election Official will have a standard form that can be used for the appointment. The scrutineer must bring a copy of this form to present to the voting official while on duty. The scrutineer should also keep a copy of the appointment form at all times so that the scrutineer can identify themselves when asked.

How many scrutineers is a candidate allowed to appoint?

The legislation states that a maximum of two scrutineers (per candidate) are entitled to be present at a voting station at one time. However, a candidate can appoint as many scrutineers as he / she would like.

Is a candidate entitled to act as a scrutineer?

A candidate is entitled to undertake the duties of a scrutineer or may assist scrutineers. However the rule still applies that there may be no more than two scrutineers at a voting station at one time.

Is the scrutineer able to wear or display anything that shows they represent a particular candidate?

On Election Day, scrutineers may wear a badge or ribbon indicating, by colour alone (not name), the candidate they represent. No other person may wear anything that identifies the person as a supporter of the candidate.