City Hall

2021 By-election Information



Elector Info - Voter Eligibility

In order to be eligible to vote in an election, a person must be:

  • a Canadian citizen;
  • 18 years of age on Election Day; and
  • a resident of the Ward 5 (Meadows-Waverly) for at least six months on Election Day (prior to November 5, 2020)

The following rules apply to determine the residency of a person:

  • a person is a resident of the place where he/she has his/her ordinary residence, and to which he/she intends to return when away from it
  • a person may be a resident of only one place at a time
  • a person does not change residence until he/she has a new residence

A person who leaves Ward 5 (Meadows-Waverly) for temporary reasons is still considered a resident voter. For example, a student attending university or college outside of the municipality, but who intends to return home after the term ends, is considered a resident voter.


Voting As A Non Resident Ward 5 (Meadows-Waverly) Property Owner

For municipal elections only non-resident land owners of property in Ward 5 (Meadows-Waverly) are eligible to vote in an election. In order to be eligible, the person must be:

  • a Canadian citizen;
  • 18 years of age on Election Day;
  • a registered land owner for at least six months on Election Day(prior to November 5, 2020).

A maximum of two non-resident property owners, per property, are permitted to vote in a municipal election. In order to vote, each of these voters must obtain written consent from a majority of the registered landowners, and file this with the Senior Election Official. Click here for a consent form.

When voting, you may also be required to provide proof of ownership to the voting official. Ensure you bring proof of ownership with you when you vote.


Elector Info - Where do I vote?

Only Ward 5 (Meadows – Waverly) residents are allowed to vote in this By-election.  If you are unsure if you live in Ward 5, see ward 5 map.

Voting will take place in the following Voting Places:

  • Richmond Park Church at 1525 26th Street
  • First Baptist Church at 3881 Park Ave.
  • Keystone Centre at 1175 18th Street – Drive Thru Location only (South-East Parking lot)

From 8:00 am - 8:00 pm on Wednesday, May 5, 2021.  Eligible Voters may choose which Voting Place to vote at.

Advance Voting will take place on Thursday, April 29, 2021 from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm at City Hall, 410 9th Street.


Candidate Info - Registration

All candidates must register before they can begin to accept contributions or spend money on their campaign. Candidates must fill out a Registration Form available from the municipality's SEO. Candidates must register within a certain time frame:


March 2, 2021 to March 30, 2021

To register, candidates must:

  • Provide their name and address
  • Identify the office they are running for - councillor
  • Provide information about their campaign account. This information is required prior to accepting monetary contributions for the purpose of the campaign.


Candidates must set up a campaign account at a financial institution (eg. bank, credit union, caisse populaire) if they are going to receive monetary contributions from others. Details of the account, including the name of the financial institution, account number, etc. need to be provided to the SEO on the Registration Form. The campaign account must be used only for election purposes.

Once registered, a candidate is entitled to receive a copy of the voters list from the SEO. The voters list is a list of eligible voters that is maintained by the SEO. The voters list may be provided to the candidate electronically or in paper form. This list may be only preliminary, with a final voters list to be provided later.

IMPORTANT: The voters list may only be used for election purposes during the campaign period. It is illegal to use the voters list for any other purpose.

After candidates are registered, they also have the right to canvass or distribute election material in the Ward. There are rules that must be followed:

  • Candidates can access multi-unit residences, such as apartment blocks, anytime between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. Candidates may wish to discuss their intention to campaign in a multi-unit residence with the SEO, to allow the SEO to contact the landlord to give residents advance notice of their arrival.
  • Candidates can also distribute pamphlets and other campaign material at health care facilities such as personal care homes, but only at a time agreed upon by the candidate and the administrator of the facility. Check with the facility fir COVID-19 protocols.

IMPORTANT: When campaigning a candidate may be asked to provide identification or documentation confirming their candidacy. Candidates may wish to ensure they have photo identification, such as a driver’s license.

pdf Notice of Registration (180 KB)

pdf Candidate Registration Form (136 KB)


Candidate Info - Qualifications of Candidates

Who May Run:

  • A Canadian citizen
  • At least 18 years of age on the day of the election (May 5, 2021)
  • A resident of Manitoba
  • A resident or property owner in the City of Brandon for at least six months before Election Day (November 5, 2021).
  • An employee of the municipality (except the CAO) or a regional municipal body (e.g., Planning District, Conservation District, etc.) if they have taken a leave of absence. If you are a municipal employee and wish to run for your municipal council, speak to your CAO.
  • An employee of the municipality (except the CAO) or other regional municipal body (eg.. Planning Commission) if they have taken a leave of absence.

Who May Not Run:

  • A councillor or candidate running for office in another municipality
  • A candidate running for school trustee
  • A member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba or the Senate or House of Commons of Canada
  • A provincial judge or justice of the peace
  • A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench or the Court of Appeal.
  • A person that is disqualified from running for council in 2021due to failing to file their2018 Election Finance Statement. All candidates, even those that were not nominated, withdrew or were not elected were required to file an Election Finance Statement after the 2018 election.
  • Those who have previously been convicted of an election offence or failed to pay a fine after being convicted of other offences under The Municipal Act or any other Act are disqualified from running.


Candidate Info - Profiles

Sunday J Frangi

Sunday J. Frangi
2 – 204 Victoria Ave.
Brandon, MB

Ph: 431-804-6370
Occupation: Health Care Worker

I am a resident of Brandon and a proud Canadian.  I come from under-represented communities.  I am a health care worker, currently working for Prairie Mountain Health.  I have been involved in many community organizations and I believe I bring a unique perspective and inclusivity to our City Council.  Concerns and challenges that are facing the residents of Ward 5 Meadows-Waverly are no difference than the rest of if the City but require much and immediate act to bring results.  The issue of drainage in the where a number of homes were effected by sewer back-ups and ground water flooding during the 2020 storms that caused many residents their savings.  Streets & roads in the area, issues of construction and sidewalk repair, speeding around school zones are a serious safety issue. 

The effects of Covid-19 pandemic on our City’s economic is alarming and becoming challenging and need careful planning to keep costs and taxed inline and low as a priority. 

Crime, accountability and Meth in our City are among the leading issues.  Crimes and Meth in our streets are a threat to our safety and pushing away progress in business sector, etc.

These are few of many concerns that were a deciding factor for me to run.  I look forward to serving the residents of Ward 5 Meadows-Waverly as their City Councillor.


Gordon McRaeGordon McRae
1414 Victoria Ave
Brandon, MB

Ph # 204.573.6863
Occupation: Sales Associate

I am running for City Council, Ward 5, to improve infrastructure, and work on policy and programs towards improving Poverty.  I would also work towards diversity in the City and environmental policy.


Frequently Asked Questions

Why is there a municipal By-election?

A By-election is held when a current incumbent resigns from office before their term expires and is over one year before the next general election.

Who is the Senior Election Official (SEO)?

The Senior Election Official (SEO) is the person appointed by the municipality to exercise general direction and supervision over the conduct of municipal elections.  The SEO for the City of Brandon is Danniele Carriere.



Who is eligible to vote in a municipal by-election?

There are two types of voters that are qualified to vote in a municipal by-election.

 Resident Voters: In order to qualify as a resident voter, a person must be:

  • A Canadian citizen;
  • At least 18 years of age on Election Day; and
  • A resident of the ward for at least six months on Election Day.

Non-resident Voters: In order to qualify as a non-resident voter, a person must be:

  • A Canadian citizen;
  • At least 18 years of age on Election Day; and
  • A registered owner of land in the municipality in the ward for at least six months on the By-Election Day.

If there are more than two non-resident property owners for a single property, a maximum of two can vote in a municipal election. In order to vote, each voter must obtain written consent from the majority of the registered property owners, and file this with the Senior Election Official.

In the case of ward elections, a voter must vote in the ward where they reside, even if they own property in more than one ward. If a property owner does not reside in the municipality, but owns property in more than one ward, the person must apply to the Senior Election Official to designate their voting ward. The voter must choose a ward before the voters list is closed to revisions, or the Senior Election Official will choose a ward on the voter’s behalf.

I don’t live in the City of Brandon, but I own property - can I vote?

If you are a resident of Manitoba, own property in ward 5, and are otherwise qualified to vote, you may be able to vote in the municipal by-election as a non-resident property owner.

If you own property with other non-resident property owners, only two of you can vote. You must obtain written consent from the majority of the other property owners and file this with the Senior Election Official in order to vote.

My property in Ward 5 is registered in the name of a corporation. Am I qualified to vote as a non-resident owner in the municipal election where that property is located?

No, the owners of a corporation or a company do not quality to vote in a municipal election as non-resident owners.

I am a member of a First Nation, living on reserve. Can I vote in a municipal by-election?

Persons residing within a First Nations reserve are not residents of any municipality, and are therefore not qualified to vote in a municipal election.



Do I need identification in order to vote?

Yes. Voters are to bring identification, or when requesting a sealed envelope ballot in person. Voters who request a sealed envelope ballot in writing are required to submit photocopies of their ID.   

Do I get time off work to vote in a local by-election?

No. Voting places are open from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. In addition, the law requires municipalities to provide at least one advance voting opportunity, as well as a sealed envelope voting opportunity.   

If I am not on the voters list, can I still register to vote on By-Election Day?

Yes. However, you must be a resident of the ward where the by-election is taking place.  Photo identification required registering to vote and sign an affidavit.    

Am I allowed to look at the voters list?

A voter is only entitled to view his / her own personal information on the voters list to determine whether it is correct. 

How will I know where to vote?

Watch for information on social media, City of Brandon website and the Brandon Sun.  You can contact the SEO by email at

Can I take someone into the voting compartment with me?

Yes. A voter with a physical disability, visually impaired, blind, difficulty reading or a language barrier may ask the voting official to allow another person to help with marking their ballot. The "friend of the voter" must be at least 18 years of age, has not assisted more than one other person, and sign an oath that they will preserve the secrecy of the vote. An election official may assist a voter that requires help marking the ballot.


Contact Us


410 - 9th Street
Brandon, MB R7A 6A2
Phone 204-729-2236