Skip to main navigation Skip sub navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer Accessibility Options

Planning & Building Safety Department

Development Applications & Forms


Development Permits

Development permits approve the development of a site in accordance with City standards. A development permit only approves the site for development, a building permit is still required prior to constructing any buildings on a site.

A separate development permit is optional for minor developments (e.g. two to four residential units) and is required for major developments (e.g. five or more residential units).

PDF Icon Development Permit Application Form (424 KB)

PDF Icon Development Permit for Major Developments (169 KB)

PDF Icon Development Permit for Minor Developments (161 KB)

 Home Based Business License Application

 PDF Icon Application Form (605 KB)

To operate a business out of your residence, you need to first obtain two approvals:

  1. The first is a development permit. A development permit, issued by the Planning & Buildings Department, allows business activities to be conducted from a residential property under the Zoning By-law.
  2. The second is a business license. A business license, issued by the Licensing Department, legally allows you to operate a business.

If you are establishing a new business in your residence, or you are changing the parameters of your existing business (e.g. change of address, changing the number of clients on your residential property), you must complete the Home-Based Business Application Form. The application form must be submitted to the Planning & Buildings Department at the A.R. McDiarmid Civic Complex, 638 Princess Avenue. The license must be renewed annually through the Licensing Department at City Hall (410 - 9th Street, main floor).

Lawful Non-Conformity Application

PDF Icon Application Form (507 KB)

The purpose of a Certificate of Legal Non-Conformity is to confirm that the building, parcel, use of the land, or intensity of the use was lawfully in existence before the enactment of the City of Brandon Zoning By-law. This certificate is conclusive evidence even if the use of land does not comply with the current Zoning By-law.

Zoning Memorandum Request

PDF Icon Zoning Memorandum Request Form (482 KB)

A Zoning Memorandum is a written letter that identifies whether or not all buildings and structures identified on a survey on the property in question conform to the siting requirements in the City of Brandon Zoning By-law, and if applicable, reasons for non-conformance. Turnaround time is generally wtihin ten (10) business days.

Zoning Confirmation Request

PDF Icon Zoning Confirmation Request Form (467 KB)

The purpose of a Zoning Confirmation is to verify, in writing, the land use designation as per the Development Plan, zoning as per the City of Brandon Zoning By-law, and any Secondary Plan designations, if applicable, on a specific site. Zoning Confirmations are typically used by financial institutions during due diligence processes, but can be requested by anyone at any time. Turnaround time is generally within ten (10) business days.

Planning Mobile Menu

City of Brandon - 410 9th Street - Brandon MB - R7A 6A2 - Phone: 204. 729. 2186